About 12 months ago I decided to have a go at writing a blog. I was under no illusions that it would be easy but figured there was only one way to find out what it was all about and that was just to have a go! So I registered on WordPress and started drafting some blog posts.
Now maybe I’m a little different to other bloggers, but it took me some time to be happy with my post content and then I quickly realised that picking a background theme for my WordPress blog was also going to take an inordinate amount of time as well!
After posting a few times over a few months I was lucky enough to attend a social enterprise training day on social media which included WordPress/blog writing and it gave me a few tips to improve my blog further. Things like linking my blog to my Twitter and LinkedIn accounts and embedding video content opened up lots of possibilities.
Seeing as my blog is now taking off with some regular readers and enough content to be of interest, I figured I’d try and blog a few tips that I’d give to anyone new to blogging, so here goes…….
1) Write about your interests – it sounds simple, but it’s really hard to write about anything your not interested in or knowledgeable about. It’s not impossible, just difficult.
2) Come up with your ‘style’ – have a quick look at some existing blogs and you will soon see the vast variety of blog styles that are out there. For mine, I went with a slightly humorous, fairly concise style. Well, that’s the theory anyway.
3) Update it regularly – I struggled with this one at first. It’s hard to just start writing unless your creative juices are flowing, whereas now I find it pretty easy to write a new blog post every few weeks. In fact, I’ve got quite a few half written blog pieces that I’ll no doubt revisit again soon and finish off.
4) Use social media to promote your posts/blog – one of the lessons I learned from the training. This helps to get your blog out there, otherwise it might never be read by anyone (which with the best will in the world is hard to stay positive about!).
5) Just have a go! – for me this is key. I’ve learnt more from just posting some blog pieces than anything else.
6) Have some fun! – again this is really key. You’ve got to want to write on your blog regularly, otherwise it will be a real struggle and your readers will soon pick-up on this and remember, if your posts are not interesting enough in content, no-one will ever click on your blog posts.
So, the message is quite simple really. What are you waiting for – get blogging!!